Sunday, March 12, 2023

Keep Your Head Up


Recently, I got lost in my thoughts, as I do every morning.  I suffer my past, beating myself up for mistakes I made long ago; hating myself for recent ones that I can’t fix.  I was caught up in the thought that I would never again be what I was in my younger years – fearless and driven to achieve success.  Unbothered by the waves of the seas of life with the support of a family unit.  My life has changed and taken a different turn than I’d expected or wanted.  My situation has changed and so have I.  I mourned the death of my former self, shaking and sweating for almost two hours.  I said a prayer for something to help me or give me some sort of insight or motivation to put me back on my feet.  My phone dinged, my notification for the bible verse of the day:


Colossians 3:2

Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.


A strange coincidence that I don’t personally believe was a coincidence.  I do, however, see that I’m not the only one that saw that verse of the day.  The algorithm that chose the verse didn’t tailor it to me.  But, it did come to me at a moment when I needed to read it.  I thought, “I am looking at the wrong things.”  I was focusing on the life that I wanted.  I was only looking towards a status that I once had.


Buddhism has teachings along the same line of letting go of earthly desires, possessions, and even friendships and relationships.  In the four noble truths, the basic tenets of the belief system, it is taught that attachment to things or people that are impermanent is the cause of suffering.  Not to cease compassion or care, but to realize that everything will leave our lives.    


I’d read this verse before and quickly forgotten about it which made me want to read the rest of the chapter.  What are these things above?


 12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and [k]patience; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. 14 Beyond all these things put on love, which is [l]the perfect bond of unity. 15 Let the peace of Christ [m]rule in your hearts, to which [n]indeed you were called in one body; and [o]be thankful. 16 Let the word of [p]Christ richly dwell within you, [q]with all wisdom teaching and admonishing [r]one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing [s]with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.


According to the same chapter, we are to put on the love of christ and exude it for others to see and experience.  We are to be patient with each other, forgive one another, realizing that we were once forgiven for all of our grave mistakes.  Living in our beliefs and in our faith is keeping our eyes on things above.  Another verse comes to mind that explains what to focus on:

Philippians 4:8


Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is [a]lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, [b]dwell on these things.


Buddhism has a similar idea inthe eightfold path, a way of living set out by buddha to achieve enlightenment.


Right understanding (Samma ditthi)  – the knowledge and understanding of the Four Noble truths

Right thought (Samma sankappa) – to have thoughts of good things, such as: non-violence, compassion, selflessness

Right speech (Samma vaca) – keep from telling lies, abstain from backbiting and talk that may bring about hatred, and disharmony, and stay away from rude, impolite, and abusive language.  Keep from idle, useless, and foolish babble and gossip. 

Right action (Samma kammanta) – Moral, honorable, and peaceful conduct

Right livelihood (Samma ajiva) – not making a living off, or benefiting from, occupations that harm others (dealing drugs, selling weapons, selling alcohol, etc)

Right effort (Samma vayama) – Will to get prevent, and get rid of, evil and unwholesome intent and promotion of the opposite.

Right mindfulness (Samma sati) – mindful recognition, and attention to, oneself physicall and mentally.  Recognize thoughts, urges, sensations, and feelings.

Right concentration (Samma samadhi) – a meditative state where something is contemplated or focused on to achieve whatever is desired: possibly less anxiety, and increased mood.

It behooves me to focus on spiritual things and worry more about my spirituality and faith than material possessions and status.  My status as more than a decent human being should be sought after more than a “successful” one.  As the bible said, what good is it to gain the whole world and lose my soul? 


Non-attachment through mindfulness is a concept that I’ve been working on.  I have begun to realize that I enjoy and appreciate people and things in my life the more I realize they are impermanent.  Everyone and everything will leave me or I will leave them eventually.  In the military, we would be told that the only constant in life is change.  Life moves without thought of our feelings or our permission.  Dependence on things or people around us for our happiness causes suffering.  Yearning for the things that we don’t have also causes suffering.  By letting my morals, beliefs, and faith guide me, I’m already successful.  I don’t need anything to prove that.


 


No comments: